You feel safe and at home with that person, no matter how long
it has been. With their arms wrapped around you, nothing in the world could
cause you harm. It’s unfair really. You chase them and give them all your love
and in the end you get nothing back. You know it’s going to happen, but you let
it happen anyway because for those moments you are together everything is okay
and nothing else matters. A gentle touch here, a playful kiss there. When you
two are together the rest of the world is seemingly transparent. It’s all an
illusion.
I’m not really sure how it happened, but I fell into this
happy little lie. Like all the drugs and alcohol they warned us about as
children, I tried him and couldn’t get enough. As he was draining my soul bare,
I just kept on smiling and acting as if nothing had happened. He fed off my
affection. The longer we were together, the more and more people started to
notice that I wasn’t okay. They were all convinced that I should drop him. But
how do you just stop something that you feel as though you can’t live without?
With his soft breath on my neck and his arms wrapped firmly
around my waist, he was mine. The feel of his muscles stretching over his bones
as we kissed and explored the deepest part of each other’s minds sent me into a
land of euphoria. I thought, perhaps, if I could get him to want me just one
more time then maybe he would love me. I convinced myself that he loved me
because he kept coming back. While we were together, I had this delusion that
everything was just peachy. He was mine. I was sure of it. I was wrong. How
unaware I was of just how much he had conditioned me. Just like any addiction,
it owns you before you own it. He had me wrapped around his finger. You are
held tightly in the fiery grasp of the addiction, but in the end only you can
put out the fire. Only you can walk away.
When we were apart this sense of doubt would start to creep
into the bright, sunshiny corners of my brain and cloud my mind. After a while
I realized that no matter how many times he said he wanted me, he was not mine.
I was not his. We did not love each other. It was just one of those meaningless
flings that had just gone on for too long and would probably keep on going if I
didn’t get myself back to being a sensible young woman. I’d woken up and gone home
smelling like sweat, sex and shame one too many times.
I hated myself. I hated him. Still…no matter what I felt
something would always pull me back. There was something about me and him that
I couldn’t get enough of. I walked around in this state of confusion for so
long thinking he was the one but not understanding why he wouldn’t accept it
too. When I came to the realization that he was not mine I also realized that,
despite his denial of our so called “love,” he was still just as addicted to me
as I was to him. When I left him alone in the dark and walked away, he came
running after me.
We may not have loved each other, but there was a sense of
comfort between us that I have never experienced with anyone. After all of the
stupid shit he put me through and that we did to each other, I still consider
him one of my best friends. Although, now I acknowledge the fact that I can
live without him. It’s hard to see my life without him in it, and I’ll admit
that part of me does actually love him. But I’m not in love with him. And that’s where the difference is. Before you go
believing someone is “the one” and that you’re in love with them, take a step
back. Look at the situation from someone else’s point of view, as hard as that
sounds. Look at all the bad things. Make sure you aren’t overlooking anything.
Sometimes, the physical attraction and comfort of being with someone for so
long can be confused for love. All it really comes down to is a habit you can’t
kick.
No comments:
Post a Comment