You can tell a lot about a person by going in their room. You don't have to go through their things, or snoop through their journals. Just look around. Their bedroom is a portal to their mind. It works with couples too. Next time you go into someone's bedroom, make note of if they are single, seeing someone or living with someone. You'll notice that there are certain parts of a room that belongs to one person or the other.
A messy room isn't always dirty. It has a lot of personality and may clue you in to a person's cluttered mind, but it can also be a sign of disorganized intelligence. A spotless room is a boring room. It is empty of character and holds no value to the persons who enter it. Old pictures, band posters, drawings from friends...a room with so much in it is like a museum, never ending and always changing.
You never know what you're going to find and something is always interesting, no matter the person who comes in. Old books on dusty shelves, yellowing notes from freshman year of high school tucked into the back of the closet, stupid toys you swear you'll never get rid of for this reason and that reason.
I am one of those people who really doesn't let others into my room. I'm afraid they'll get to know me too well and that will give them the advantage over me. I've always hated having people in my room, even before I was aware of the reason why. My mom always thought it was because I was embarrassed to have people in my room when it was so messy, but that was not it at all. I just hated the idea of people knowing so much about me that I rarely allowed them into my little safe haven. I hardly let my parents into my room, let alone my best friends.
So consider it a privilege. If someone let's you into their small sanctuary, whether it be their bedroom or a small clearing in the woods or their favorite place to smoke on rainy days behind a church down the street, be respectful. If they're letting you in and showing you their weaknesses, you can't betray them by breaking down those walls and then letting all those secrets out. Those who like to hide do not share their thoughts very often, so when they do cherish it.
No comments:
Post a Comment