Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Fear: Fact or Fiction?


So I was talking with my friend Steve last night about something that he feared. I myself have a fear of house fires and needles. But those are just the more realistic of my fears. He asked me to get on AIM so we could talk and started telling me about something called The Slender Man. At that point I didn't want to look too far into it for I feared that it would creep me out. I was right. He sent me a picture and I freaked out. Before I went to bed, I turned my lights out and looked out the window. I could have sworn I saw a tall, tree like man standing in my front yard. Silly me. Haha. Well anyways, I did some research today when I got on the computer and found that I am absolutely fascinated by the man...if that's what you'd call him. He can be anywhere from seven to seventeen feet tall, he's known to stand very still, I believe and he has tentacle like arms, no eyes and he's very...well...slender. He supposedly goes after children and kidnaps them many at a time, but he has no discrimination. He'll go after any age, any gender. "Investigation team discovered twenty-two bodies of both genders and various ages impaled on broken tree branches in a radiating circle pattern with chest mutilation as often noted with Slender Man." (Click to enlarge photos) [Something that is somewhat like The Slender Man. It's kinda stupid, but I still like it. - The Rake]

I find all of this so interesting. While looking up The Slender Man, I found a few other sites as well. I've always been interensted in the paranormal. Ever since I was younger. From the time I could talk to until I was four or five I used to tell my parents and my grandma about talking to my grandpa who had been dead for about...oh...I wanna say almost thirty years? I don't remember doing it, but I used to tell stories about what grandpa and I would talk about when we went on walks. Stories about him telling me things that happened while he was in the war. Freaked the heck outta my family. Anyway. Back to what I found. Along with many pictures, whether real or photoshopped, there have been videos documented of The Slender Man. Here's the introduction video.

One of the cites that I checked out was on a horror hyper-fiction called The Dionaea House. It's about a house that's like a Venus Flytrap. It lures you in one way or another and you disappear - or die - without explanation. Most people that live in the house end up going crazy. They either run off and pay for it later, or they just up and disappear one day while inside the house. I read the whole thing. It thoroughly creeped me out and I loved it. After you read all of the emails that the man sends to his friend Eric, there is an update page that informs you of what goes on afterward, with links to blogs that keep you...updated. Fact or Fiction? I'm not sure, but either way I want to know more.

I had a friend show me something called The Poughkeepsie Tapes a while back. While I did not find it recently, I have still been researching it as of late. They're still fascinating to me, but I have come to discover, as she did, that these videos are not real. She had initially told me the movie that was made about them was based off of truth and that the man behind the tapes had not been caught. The movie was just a mock documentary and many people believed the tapes were real.

Another website I found is called Ted's Caving Page. It's about a cave he found near his house that he called Floyd's Tomb and the bizarre encounters he had there, such as weird noises and occurances. I have yet to read the whole thing as of yet, but I am certainly interested in it from what little I have read. (Note: I am severely claustrophobic and being in a space that small like that man is would probably kill me. Haha.)

On top of these few new things I've found, there are myths such as The Lochness Monster, Big Foot (or as I like to call him Sasquatch), Witches, Vampires, Werewolves, Aliens. One of my personal favorites is Vampires. There are many theories as to where they originated from. Some claim that it was just cannibals, while some thought 'witches' had started to drink blood for various reasons. There is some skepticism on those theories and whether or not it originated from Transylvania and a rather sadistic man named Vladamir Dracula. For more on that I highly recommend the book The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. (EDIT: Those are just folklore. These things are really based off of real things. Vampirism is a real disease and 'werewolf' appearances are caused by a genetic mutation called hypertrichosis.)

In conclusion, there are a lot of hoaxes out there, but it's just a matter of sorting fact from fiction. What is real and what is fake? It's up to you to decide. I myself believe that there are some things out there that some of these myths are based off of. Some may really exist, while others may just be someone trying to scare us all. Either way, anyone that enjoys a good scare is in for some fun.



So tell me, what do you fear?

No comments:

Post a Comment