Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Judge Me

Why is it that there is always that physical barrier that can keep a relationship from forming? Physicality is such a small detail when it comes to loving someone, and yet it is one of the biggest obstacles that so many people have to overcome every. single. day. It just doesn't seem like it should be worth it to have to go through so much, just to be let down because you're not pretty enough, you're not skinny enough, you're not experienced enough, you look different. I've heard so many stories about how people think they aren't pretty enough or they aren't good enough. What has happened to the world these days? Nobody's perfect.

I've lived my whole life with a skin disease and along with it came those funny looks and the questions. I'm not saying that I hate myself just because I have an auto immune disease. In fact I'm saying the complete opposite. Seeing the world the way I see it, I've learned to respect people for who they are and I love myself because of my skin disease. It took a long time for me to become comfortable saying that I thought I was pretty. I know that sounds pretty drastic, but when you grow up having people staring at you constantly - even though in my case the severity of my problem is really not that bad (I got lucky), people still notice - it can be pretty uncomfortable and demeaning. You either have to grow some courage, or you lose something crucial in your life. Yourself. You don't want people to feel sorry for you or think that you need help just because you're different. You just want people to understand that you ARE okay and just because you have a physical differential doesn't mean that you're any less like them personality wise. It's amazing how much you learn about yourself when you come to find that you finally have the answers.

One of the things that has helped me when I get down and I feel like I'm not good enough because of my skin disease, is thinking about all those other people out there that are strong enough to make it through the day. All those people I don't know and even celebrities. For those of you who don't know Michael Jackson had Vitiligo as well. Even though he may not have handled it in a...healthy manner...it makes me realize that anybody can be different and still make it in the world. I'm not ill equipped just because someone else decides I'm 'not good enough'.

No matter who you are, you're beautiful. Being who I am, I can find the beauty in most anyone.

I've found that many of the people who never get a shot at most things because of how they look are some of the most amazing people I've ever met in my life. They see more and, in all honesty, they know more. They are not naive like the rest of the world and they have a way of making the best out of any situation because they had to if they wanted to live with themselves for the rest of their lives. Because someone is different is no excuse for anyone to be so rude, and believe me, I've met my fair share of rude people in my life. But then again, you always find the people that will love you for who you truly are. Even if it's not as noticeable these days, my skin disease still affects me emotionally. I suppose it will always stick with me.

We're all different. Don't ridicule someone because they aren't like you. And maybe not everyone is beautiful to you, but I try my best to find the beauty in everyone. I can even find beauty in myself. So go on. Judge me. I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment